Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Cabbage

I originally posted this in 2012. I'm bumping it to the top both on general principle and to change things up. The photo above (somewhat photoshopped), however, is new to the array.
 
* * * * *
 
Last year it was irises. Looks like cabbage this year. Though not all cabbages, any more than it was all irises last year. These are the cabbages that have caught my eye:

IMGP6943rdPL

IMGP6764rd

The two beings have a similar geometric richness and complexity and, I suppose, the same principles of biochemical structural engineering are at work. Are those ribs or veins?

IMGP7146rd

Probably both. The extra thickness of tissue gives strength and support, and perhaps the ribs also contain long bundles of tube (I'm speculating here, I'm no botanist) for fluid and nutrient transport.

IMGP7149rd

In youth they are smoother in aspect:

IMGP6701rd

The crenelations and valleys come with aging, and I don't even know how old these plants are. Oh yes, 2 months or so, but relative to their life cycle?

IMGP6765rd

IMGP7047rd

IMGP7093rd

No comments:

Post a Comment